Summer Research Scholars Program
European Studies Center
Jean Monnet Center of Excellence
University Library System
University of Pittsburgh
2016 JMEUCE Summer Research Scholars Program
Applications deadline: March 4, 2016.
Through its Summer Research Scholar Program, the European Studies Center (ESC), a Jean Monnet EU Center of Excellence (JMEUCE), in collaboration with the University Library System (ULS) at the University of Pittsburgh, seeks to facilitate and further research on all aspects of European integration and the European Union. The ESC and ULS are offering two research grants to post-doctoral and senior scholars to be in residence at the University of Pittsburgh.
Applicants for the JMEUCE Summer Research Scholars Program should be pursuing a research project on any aspect of European integration or the European Union. Proposals should emphasize how the time in residence at the University of Pittsburgh will advance their research project.
Selected Scholars will reside in Pittsburgh for periods of one to four weeks between May 16, 2016 and August 15, 2016. Awards will range between $2,000 and $3,500 USD and will take the form of reimbursements of eligible travel and accommodation costs (based upon submitted receipts). In addition, ESC staff will arrange for scholars to meet with faculty with similar interests and the ULS will provide access to and bibliographic assistance in the unique and comprehensive Barbara Sloan European Union Document Collection. JMEUCE Summer Research Scholars are expected to acknowledge support of the ESC, the ULS, and the EU in any work resulting from this research, and to deliver a presentation of their research and preliminary findings while in Pittsburgh.
Barbara Sloan European Union Document Collection: In 2007 the Delegation donated its library collection to the ULS at the University of Pittsburgh. The gift is a virtually complete collection of European Community documents produced from the early 1950s to 2004 which were meant for distribution. The highlight of the collection is the research files which are about 650 linear feet of folders documents arranged by subject. Most of the documents in these folders are smaller stapled documents, many of which would be difficult to locate elsewhere. A “finding aid” for the Sloan Collection is available on the ULS website.
Note: Applications will be evaluated based upon the suitability of materials in the Barbara Sloan European Union Document Collection to the proposed research objectives. Questions regarding the Sloan Collection should be directed to the ULS bibliographer who oversees the Collection, Phil Wilkin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications should be submitted via submittable.com. This application requires that you upload pieces of supporting documentation (listed below). Only complete application packets will be accepted.
- A project description (not to exceed 5 pages, double-spaced, and which includes a description of the research to be undertaken and specifically addresses the research project’s relevance to European integration and the European Union);
- A current C.V.
- A budget of all estimated costs (JMEUCE Summer Research Scholar grants may not cover all costs.)
For further information about this program please contact Allyson Delnore (email@example.com).
2015 Summer Scholars
- Laura Allyson, Research Fellow, Public Policy and Global Affairs Programme, Nanyang Technological University, Associate Fellow, EU Centre, Singapore
- Margherita Matera, Sessional Lecturer, Swinburne University, University of Melbourne
Past Summer Scholars:
2014 SUMMER SCHOLARS
- Antoine Rayroux, postdoctoral researcher, European Union Center of Excellence, McGill University, Univerité de Montréal
- Umberto Tulli, postdoctoral fellow, University of Trento
2013 SUMMER SCHOLARS
- Monika Sus, Willy Brandt Center for German and European Studies at Wroclaw University
- Branislav Radeljic, Associate Professor in International Politics & School of Law and Social Sciences, University of East London
- Alexandru Grigorescu, Associate Professor, Political Science, Loyola University Chicago
2012 SUMMER SCHOLARS
- Peter Debaere, University of Ghent
- Shelley Grant, Queens College, London
- Alessandra Bitumi, University of Bologna
- Karolina Pietras, University IV Sorbonne, Paris
- Daniel Thomas, Queens College, Dublin
- Undergraduate Students
- Graduate Students
- Library Research Advisor
- Center Visitors
- K-12 Outreach