UCIS Faculty Fellowship
The UCIS Faculty Fellowship will be offered for projects occurring in AY 2017-18. Applications are due January 20, 2017. Download the PDF application cover sheet
The purpose of the UCIS Faculty Fellowship is to enable faculty members to undertake projects or acquire skills that enhance the University’s capabilities in some branch of international studies. The Fellowship does not interrupt the accrual of terms toward a sabbatical. The Fellowship is awarded in close collaboration between UCIS, the faculty member, the relevant department chair, and the dean of the relevant faculty or school. The grant includes a limited research fund.
Full-time and part-time tenure-stream and tenured faculty at the University of Pittsburgh from all schools and departments, centers, institutes and campuses are eligible to submit a proposal. Non-tenure-stream, adjunct, visiting and emeritus faculty as well as students are not eligible.
Both the dean and the chair in whose unit the grantee has his or her primary appointment must support the proposal. Any faculty fellowship award is contingent upon the relevant dean's acceptance of the fellowship terms and replacement cost award.
Faculty must be in residence at the University of Pittsburgh for at least one year beyond the duration of the Faculty Fellowship.
Faculty who have received a UCIS Faculty Fellowship remain ineligible for seven years, counting from the beginning of the academic year in which the previous fellowship was taken. Example: Fellowship taken in AY 2001, eligible again in AY 2008.
Proposals must demonstrate a significant impact on the international profile of the University of Pittsburgh. The impact may be achieved through research, teaching, curriculum development, or the development of publications. Evidence of other funding will be considered favorably.
Examples of Supported Projects:
- Organization of a national or international conference or workshop on an international topic
- Preparation of a scholarly journal article or a book-length manuscript
- Development and teaching of a new interdisciplinary course in international or area studies
- Development of a major grant proposal
- Development of a new certificate program
- Publication of an edited volume or proceedings related to a UCIS event
Amount of Grant
The UCIS Faculty Fellowship is jointly funded by UCIS and the faculty member's school or department. UCIS provides replacement costs for the faculty and provides a limited research fund for use during the Faculty Fellowship. The amount of the award for replacement cost is individually negotiable between the Director of UCIS and the dean and chair in whose unit the grantee has his or her primary appointment. The amount of the research fund is $2,000. UCIS Faculty Fellowships are awarded for one semester. Awards are limited and may not be available in a given year.
The form is a PDF file that can be completed and saved with standard Adobe Reader (Adobe Reader XI or Reader DC strongly recommended, free for download from http://get.adobe.com/reader/). Many browser plug-ins (specifically Firefox and Chrome) do not render the form on their own. If you receive a message telling you to "Please wait," please do one of the following:
- Disable your browser's built-in PDF plug-in.
- Chrome: Go to chrome://plugins and click the Disable link under Chrome PDF Viewer
- Firefox: In the browser options, (In Windows, go to the orange Firefox menu and select Options; In OS X, go to the Firefox menu and select Preferences) click on Applications, and check the list for Portable Document Format (PDF). Change the action from "Preview in Firefox" to "Use Adobe Reader".
- Download the file to your desktop, (for most browsers, this involves right-clicking the application form link and choosing Save Link As...), start Adobe Reader, and open the file from within the program.
Save the form, renaming it to include your last name, first name, and the grant period for which you are submitting (e.g. smith-john-UCIS Faculty Fellow spring 2017.pdf). Email the completed application form as an attachment, along with a three page narrative of your project, current CV, and a letter of support from your department chair (scanned) to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed by committee. Completed applications are due January 20. Awardees will be notified approximately four weeks after the deadline.
University Center for International Studies
4400 Posvar Hall
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA 15260