International Studies Fund
International Studies Fund (ISF)
See below for application form and procedure.
The International Studies Fund (ISF) is intended to help
students at the University of Pittsburgh to conduct research on
international issues or in international settings. “International” is
defined as relating to another country or culture, comparative analysis
covering more than one country or culture, studies of international
relations or of transnational activities, or studies which examine
topics related to global issues.
Important: ISF grants may not be used for tuition,
language study, internships and other non-research related expenses.
Conference, workshop or symposium travel is not eligible for funding
under the ISF program.
The application deadline is March 15.
Full-time graduate and undergraduate students at the University
of Pittsburgh from all Schools and Campuses are eligible to submit a
proposal, including international degree-seeking students. Visiting, non-degree, and post-doctoral students are not eligible to apply.
Awardees must be enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh when applying and when using the award.
Only one International Studies Fund award per student and fiscal year (July 1 to June 30) is allowed.
The ISF selection committee uses the following criteria in evaluating proposals:
- Is this an original and important project?
- Does the proposal include sufficient information about the project?
- Is the information clearly presented and understandable to non-specialists?
- Are the activities proposed appropriate to the overall project?
- Will the project lead to or conclude a larger overall agenda?
- Is the proposed budget reasonable for the activities proposed?
Amount of Grant
The maximum grant amount is $1,000. Because of the limited
availability of funds, smaller requests may be more likely to be funded.
Grants awarded must be used by June 30 of the next calendar year.
- Ground and air transportation to and from research site.
- Lodging and meal expenses while conducting research.
- Copy and other duplication costs.
- Books and subscriptions, if justifiably necessary for the research project.
- Foreign language tutoring or translation if justifiably necessary for research.
- Visa and immunization expenses.
- Travel expenses for individuals other than the applicant.
- Membership fees.
- Tuition or course fees.
- Travel and living expenses for non-research related activities
- All research involving interventions or interactions with
individuals or the collection of identifiable private information
concerning living individuals requires prospective Institutional Review
Board (IRB) approval. Grantees are responsible for obtaining IRB
approval when required, and must provide documentation of IRB approval
before a grant can be awarded. For further information, check the IRB
web site at www.irb.pitt.edu. If
IRB approval cannot be obtained prior to the ISF deadline due to
circumstances outside the applicant’s control, a written explanation
with expected approval date must be attached to the application.
are required to submit a final report explaining the use of the funds
and the outcomes of the supported activity no later than one month after
the activity is completed. Failure to submit a final report will
disqualify the ISF recipient from future ISF competitions.
Download, complete, and save the International Studies Fund application form. The form is a PDF file that can be saved with standard Adobe Reader (Adobe Reader XI strongly recommended, free for download from http://get.adobe.com/reader/). Many browser plug-ins (specifically Firefox and Chrome) do not render the form on their own. If you receive a message telling you to "Please wait," please do one of the following:
- Disable your browser's built-in PDF plug-in.
- Chrome: Go to chrome://plugins and click the Disable link under Chrome PDF Viewer
- Firefox: In the browser options, (In Windows, go to the orange Firefox menu and select Options; In OS X, go to the Firefox menu and select Preferences) click on Applications, and check the list for Portable Document Format (PDF). Change the action from "Preview in Firefox" to "Use Adobe Reader".
- Download the file to your desktop, (for most browsers, this involves right-clicking the application form link and choosing Save Link As...), start Adobe Reader, and open the file from within the program.
The application form will allow you to copy and paste an 1100 word proposal that you prepare in a word processor. Email the form as an attachment, along with supporting materials (airline or lodging quotes, research clearance from the Institutional Review Board, recent unofficial transcript) to email@example.com. Do not attach your CV. Applications will be reviewed by committee. Awardees will be notified approximately three weeks after the deadline.
March 15, annually.
For questions, e-mail Jennifer Creamer at firstname.lastname@example.org.