NATIONAL CONSORTIUM FOR TEACHING ABOUT ASIA (NCTA) AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH NATIONAL COORDINATING SITE
The National Consortium for Teaching about Asia (NCTA), funded by the Freeman Foundation and launched in 1998, is a nationwide initiative to encourage and facilitate teaching and learning about East Asia in the K-12 curriculum. In August 2001, the University of Pittsburgh joined NCTA as a regional site serving Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. In 2008, the University of Pittsburgh was promoted to an NCTA National Coordinating Site.
What We Do
NCTA targets teachers of world history, world geography, other social studies courses, and language arts/world literature as the primary audiences for its programs. Teachers of Asian languages, media specialists, librarians, and art teachers who play a key role in teaching Asian studies content are also eligible for NCTA programs. We also provide sustainability activities and events for teachers who have completed the NCTA seminar. We also further the University's mission by providing programs that are open to the University community and the community at large.
Benefits for Teachers
Benefits for K-12 teachers who complete all the requirements of the NCTA seminars vary according to the type of NCTA seminar taken (the 30-hours seminars, the 15-hour seminars, the online seminars). Some of the benefits include a year’s subscription to Education About Asia, professional development credit, a stipend, materials for your school, and eligibility to participate in a variety of in-county experiences in East Asia during the summer. For more information on the specific benefits attached to each seminar, please see the detailed information for each seminar site.
Click here for a listing of upcoming NCTA Seminar Sites
NCTA Pittsburgh Site Staff
The University of Pittsburgh NCTA National Coordinating Site regional staff consists of Dr. Brenda G. Jordan, Patrick Hughes, and Dr. Diana Marston Wood. Please see our contact page for more information.
- NCTA Online Book Group: Fact In Fiction and The Family. Registration deadline, January 23, 2017.
- 2017 Pitt NCTA Vietnam/Cambodia Study Tour: June 26-July 12, 2017
- 2017 NCTA Columbia U. China/Vietnam Study Tour. July 2-21, 2017
- NCTA Indiana U. Study Tour to South Korea. July 21-Aug 6, 2017. For Info, please email email@example.com
- Keizai Koho Study Tour to Japan. June 26-July 5, 2017
- Home (About NCTA)
- Alumni News
- Seminars for K-12 Teachers
- University of Pittsburgh Seminar
- Summer Study in Asia
- Upcoming Events
- East Asia Gateway for Linking Educators (EAGLE)
- Teacher Resource Library
- World History Seminars
- Professional & Curriculum Development Opportunities
- NCTA Newsletter (pdf)
- Contact NCTA Staff