Seminar Locations: University of Pittsburgh, GREENSBURG CAMPUS
2014 NCTA Seminar:
“Teaching East Asia Through the Arts”
Join us at the University of Pittsburgh Greensburg Campus for our Fall 2014 NCTA seminar! This evening course is an introduction to the cultures of China, Japan, and Korea, with special emphasis on the arts and ideas that have driven the development of these three countries today. The seminar is designed to encourage and facilitate K-12 teaching and learning about East Asia in World History, Geography, Social Studies, Art, and World Literature. Media specialists, librarians, art teachers, world language teachers, and others are also well positioned to help foster a place for East Asia in your schools. Some class time will be devoted to group discussions of teaching materials and strategies appropriate for different teaching levels.
This seminar will provide you with both the content and resources needed to implement the study of East Asia into your curriculum in accordance with the state’s academic standards, including geography and world history standards. No previous background in Asia is assumed. Teams of teachers as well as teachers in schools with NCTA alumni are strongly encouraged to apply.
Seminar Time: 5:30-8:30 pm
Seminar Location: 108 Powers Hall, University of Pittsburgh Greensburg Campus.
2014 Brochure & Application: Brochure & Application
Application Deadline: August 15, 2014
Dates for the 2014 NCTA Seminar:
- August 27
- September 3 and 17
- October 1, 15, and 29
- November 12 and 19
- December 3 and 10
Credits and Financial Benefits
In addition to earning 2 continuing education/in-service credits (60 Act 48 hours), each participant who completes the course and course requirements will receive the following:
- $200 worth of teaching materials for your school, including course textbook and a one year subscription to the journal Education about Asia
- $200 stipend at the completion of all coursework
- Eligibility to participate in a variety of in-county experiences in East Asia during the summer.
- The option of earning University of Pittsburgh academic credit
- Home (About NCTA)
- Alumni News
- Seminars for K-12 Teachers
- University of Pittsburgh Seminar
- Summer Study in Asia
- Upcoming Events
- East Asia Gateway for Linking Educators (EAGLE)
- Teacher Resource Library
- World History Seminars
- Professional & Curriculum Development Opportunities
- NCTA Newsletter (pdf)
- Contact NCTA Staff