Upcoming Events & Sustainability Activities
As the NCTA program has grown and expanded across the country, we have become increasingly interested in exploring ways that we can strengthen NCTA alumni teachers' interest in and commitment to improving teaching about East Asia. Within the Pittsburgh region we will support the following types of sustainability activities:
- Support for seminars and workshops
- Support for professional development including trips to museums and other cultural events
- Networking opportunities for NCTA alumni
- Purchase of Asia-related teaching materials
- Support for attendance at professional conferences
Ai Weiwei: Art & Disruption.
An NCTA Mini-Course
Saturday, February 6, 2016
This mini-course for NCTA alumni and associates is in conjunction with The Andy Warhol Museum’s exhibit on Chinese artist Ai Weiwei, who is one of the most well-known artists/political activists in the world today.
The multi-day program will consist of three sessions
For the full agenda: Ai Weiwei Minicourse Agenda.pdf
- Thursday, June 2 at 8pm. A program at the Carnegie Museum of Art in Oakland, that will feature a public conversation between Ai Weiwei and Eric Shiner, Director of The Andy Warhol Museum.
- Saturday, June 4. 8:30am-3pm. An all-day teacher workshop at Pitt, that will include a lecture by law school professor John Wagner Givens on censorship and protest in China; a screening of the film “Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry;” and a tour of the Ai Weiwei Zodiac Heads exhibit at the Carnegie Museum of Art. Breakfast, lunch and free parking will be provided.
- Saturday, June 11. 10am-4pm. An all-day workshop at The Andy Warhol Museum, including a curator-led guided tour of the Ai Weiwei exhibit, and a hands-on arts project. Lunch will be provided.
Pennsylvania teachers who participate in all three sessions will receive fourteen PA Act 48 hours.
Registration is limited, and first priority is given to those who will commit to all three sessions of the mini-course, although it is possible to only attend one of the Saturday sessions. Registration deadline is May 30th. To register, please contact Patrick Hughes at firstname.lastname@example.org
A very limited number of travel grants (of up to $250) are available for any NCTA alumni from outside of the Pittsburgh area.
Other related events: (which are not officially part of the mini-course, but which you are encouraged to attend):
Friday, June 3rd the Warhol Museum is open for free to see the exhibit (although we will be getting a guided tour of the exhibit on June 11th).
Friday, June 17 at 7pm: A public discussion at the Andy Warhol Museum with Alison Klayman, the director and producer of the film “Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry.”
For information about previous seminars and events, see Past Enrichment Seminars.
- Home (About NCTA)
- Alumni News
- Seminars for K-12 Teachers
- University of Pittsburgh Seminar
- Summer Study in Asia
- Upcoming Events
- East Asia Gateway for Linking Educators (EAGLE)
- Teacher Resource Library
- World History Seminars
- Professional & Curriculum Development Opportunities
- NCTA Newsletter (pdf)
- Contact NCTA Staff