About the Pittsburgh Asia Consortium
The Pittsburgh Asia Consortium (PAC) is a collaboration of academic and non-profit organizations in and around the greater Pittsburgh area. PAC aims to foster greater knowledge and understanding about Asia, which encompasses many peoples, languages, literatures, and disciplines, across a broad geographical area of the world.
The goal is to bring together organizations with an interest in educating academics, students, and the community about Asia; but, who may individually lack sufficient faculty, resources, or finances to do so on a sustained basis. PAC is an equal partnership among all members.
The definition of outreach activities is defined so as to fall within the National Resource Center mission for Title VI grants in East and South Asian Studies. The Asian Studies Center (ASC) of the University Center for International Studies (UCIS) at the University of Pittsburgh (Pitt) spearheaded the establishment of PAC and currently administers its financial accounts and provides other administrative and financial support.
As part of the consortium, the ASC:
- Works in consultation with each PAC member to plan, schedule, and implement Asia-related events/classes,
- Seeks input from all members in the writing of grant proposals related to the consortium mission,
- Hosts a webpage to advertise and promote Asia-events on each member’s campus,
- Helps share expert speakers on Asia for classes/events,
- Monitors and hosts PAC finances,
- Shares the burdens of arranging and hosting academic and cultural events related to Asia, and,
- Provides modest financial support for Asia-related activities in addition to PAC funding.
PAC receives support from each member, the Asian Studies Center at the University of Pittsburgh, Department of Education, University Center of International Studies, and the University of Pittsburgh.
Below are web pages to help acquaint you with the Asian Studies Center and its various programs:
- Asian Studies Center home page - http://www.ucis.pitt.edu/asc/
- National Consortium on Teaching about Asia (NCTA) home page - http://www.ucis.pitt.edu/ncta/
- Confucius Institute at Pitt web page - http://www.ucis.pitt.edu/cipitt/