Application packets should be submitted directly to your department chair according to their departmental deadline (which in all cases will be before February 15), rather than to the centers. Separate application packets must be submitted when applying to more than one center. CHECK YOUR DEPARTMENT’S INTERNAL FLAS DEADLINE!
These fellowships may only be awarded to US citizens or US permanent residents.
Fellows must be enrolled in a ‘content course’ related to their language of study and a language course each term of the award period. ASC FLAS Fellowships are only given to students studying Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or Vietnamese at the second-year level or above. Factors that are important in the review of applicants include the overall quality of the student’s academic record, and the relevance of the FLAS Fellowship target language to the student’s plan of study.
Application packets should contain the following materials. (It is no longer necessary to submit four copies.) Only completed application packets will be accepted. Submit completed application packets to your department.
- Completed application form
- Curriculum vitae (not exceeding two pages in length)
- All undergraduate and graduate transcripts (One official original transcript and 3 copies)
- LANGUAGE STUDY PLAN – A 1-2 page statement indicating the language the student proposes to study, how the student will combine language and area studies to satisfy FLAS requirements, the extent of current or previous language training, and the student’s native language, if other than English. ** Please see the last page of the application for a list of FLAS-eligible languages and levels.
- PERSONAL STUDY PLAN – A 2-3 page statement indicating the relationship of the applicant’s area of study and anticipated career goals to the appropriate center, brief personal history including any experience in or related to the appropriate area, and the title and brief description of the student’s dissertation topic for students at the dissertation level.
- Two letters of recommendation
PLEASE NOTE: All applications will be reviewed by an independent selection committee composed of faculty members drawn from the humanities/language departments, social science departments, and professional schools. Applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision by the end of March.