Rolling deadline. Applications are reviewed the first week of each month (unless the university is in recess). Please apply at least two months in advance of the need for this support.
Full-time faculty working on a manuscript publication related to Japan are eligible to apply for the Japan Studies Publication Support grant. Preference will be given to 1) single-authored books, 2) followed by co-authored books, and 3) then edited books of essays and translations. In the case of 2) and 3), at least one of the authors, translators or editors must be an eligible member of the University of Pittsburgh faculty. It can also be used by the author to pay for proofreading, copyediting, indexing, or any other costs of preparing a manuscript for publication. Limited funds are available in any given year to provide publication subsidies, and not all requests can be met. Generally, more than one request per project/book is unlikely to be funded.
Faculty must submit an application here.
Applications should include the following:
- A short description of the book and its scholarly merits
- Amount requested
- In the case of publication support: description of services requested, with hourly rate if applicable
- In the case of a subsidy: a copy of the book contract and evidence that the author/requester of a subvention has applied to other funders within the University, for example, the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences.
- An itemized budget of expected project costs, including the exact time period when funds are needed.You may use the budget template here or create a similar itemized budget.
- A completed ASC Funding Request Form.