For Visitors

Applying to be a Visiting Scholar at Pitt

For more information on the University of Pittsburgh and to obtain a formal support letter, we recommend that you contact REEES Associate Director Zsuzsánna Magdó or ESC Associate Director Allyson Delnore. Please include the following with your formal request.

  • A résumé or curriculum vitae 
  • A description of the proposed research, including a statement explaining why Pitt is an appropriate setting for the work 
  • The name of the Pitt faculty member or members whom the prospective visitor proposes to serve as his or her mentor 
  • A letter of recommendation from an academic colleague 
  • The proposed length and dates of the visit 
  • If the prospective visitor is interested in observing a particular course, a statement indicating the course and the reasons for the interest

If the prospective visitor’s native language is not English, a description of relevant experience and training in English and the degree of their proficiency with the English language. Proficiency expectations may vary by discipline and research project, and is ultimately decided by the host department or faculty member.

Prospective visitors may research our academic offerings and faculty interests, and reach out directly to faculty with shared interests and expertise to discuss their proposal and to explore the possibility of being hosted at Pitt. If there is mutual interest, then the Pitt faculty host/mentor will reach out to the Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies (as needed) and our Office of International Services (OIS) for next steps.

Applying for a Fulbright or other financial support
Most visitors are supported by funding sources in their home countries or through sabbatical leave salaries from their home institutions. In general, no financial aid, stipends, or housing are available for visiting scholars.

We are not involved in the review of Visiting Scholar applications for Fulbright or other grants. For information about programs, how to apply and deadlines, please contact the granting agency directly. For Fulbright, contact your country’s Fulbright commission or the public affairs section of the US embassy."