27 April 1912, Sofia - 28 April 1992
Hadjiev was taught initially by his parents, both leading lights in the
early years of Bulgarian opera (his father was a conductor, his mother a
singer). He then studied composition with Josef Suk (1932-33) before entering
the State Musical Academy in Sofia (1933) as a pupil of Vladigerov. On the
recommendation of Vladigerov he took lessons with Joseph Marx in Vienna in
Vienna before completing his studies at the Berlin Hochschule für Musik
In 1940 Hadjiev became a lecturer at the Sofia Academy. He was one of the
most prolific Bulgarian opera composers, and one of the most frequently staged.
His spontaneously emotional side and inborn theatrical sense are evident in
both dramatic and humorous contexts, and he has proved able to communicate
effectively with children.
His librettos draw on foreign as well as Bulgarian literature and on
fairy-tales. The individuality of his musical language results above all from
his characteristic melodies, built on elements of Bulgarian folk music.
Artistic simplicity, accessibility, knowledge of how to write for the human
voice and a rich harmonic palette are dominant features.
Lud gidiya generally regarded as the best example of Bulgarian comic
opera, has also been performed abroad.
- Imalo edno vreme (Once upon a Time) - (P. Spasov), Sofia State
Musical, April 11, 1957
- Lud Gidiya (The Madcap) - (comic opera,
I. Genov), Sofia Natl. Opera, Nov. 15, 1959
- Albena - (P. Flichev), Varna
Opera, Nov. 2, 1962
- Yulska nosht (July Night) - (Genov and P. Hadjiev), Varna Natl.
Opera, July 15, 1964
- Milionerat (The Millionaire) - (comic opera, Spasov and S. Donev),
Sofia State Musical, March 14, 1965
- Maistori (The Masters) -
(Hadjiev after R. Stoyanov), Sofia Natl. Opera, Oct. 9, 1966
- Zlatnata yabalka (The Golden Apple) - (childrens opera, Genov),
Sofia, Jan. 28, 1972
- Sluzhbogontsi (Careerists) - (musical, B. Banov after I. Vazov),
Sofia, Sept. 30, 1972
- Leto 893 (The Year 893) - Ruse National Opera, March 26, 1973
- Syrano de Bergerac - (musical, Banov after E. Rostand), Sofia State,
March 9, 1974
- Maria Desislava - (K. Zidarov), Ruse National Opera, Jan. 26, 1981
- Paradoxi (Paradoxes) - (trilogy, P. Paykov after O. Henry), Ruse
Opera, Jan. 9, 1982
- Az, Klavdiy (I, Claudius) - (Raykov), Sofia National Opera, Feb. 16,
- Zvezda bez ime (A Star without a Name) - (Stamboliev), Sofia Natl.
Nov. 26, 1985
- Mnimiyat bolen (The Hypochondriac) - (Banov after Moliere), Plovdiv,
Mar. 17, 1987
- Joan Kukuzel - (Mirchovski), Sofia National Opera, Feb. 8, 1992,