Resources for Research
- These resources may help as you research your assigned country.
- You can also reference the African Union Handbook to get a sense of the structure and purpose of the African Union.
News and Journals
African Union Databases
- African Union
- Assembly Decisions
- Civil Society & Diaspora
- HR, Science & Technology
- Infrastructure & Energy
- Legal Affairs
- Peace and Security Committee
- Political Affairs
- Rural Economy & Agriculture
- Social Affairs
- Trade & Industry
- Women, Gender & Development
Conflict, Weapons/Arms, and International Legal Resources
- Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO)
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- International Criminal Court (ICC)
- International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL)
- Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
- The Center for Strategic and International Studies
Country Specific Information Resources
- CIA World Fact Book
- Country Reports
- Encyclopedia Brittanica
- Foreign Embassies of Washington, DC
- Global Policy Forum
- Oxford Research Encyclopedia
- U.S Department of State Website - Select "Countries and Areas"
Health and Human Rights Organizations
- Amnesty International
- Human Rights Watch
- International Crisis Group
- International Committee of the Red Cross
- World Health Organization (WHO)
Topics for Research
Not sure what to research to learn about your assigned country? Here are some suggestions:
Government and Politics:
- The type of government of your country
- How often they have elections, and do people believe elections are fair/free
- Who is in power? What party are they from?
- Are there any armed conflicts in your country now? Or recent ones?
Industry and Trade:
- Do they owe a lot in foreign debt?
- What are their major exports? Crops? Trade partners?
- Do they have any big environmental issues?
- Strengths/ weaknesses of the public health system
- How have they dealt with Covid-19?
- Is there a major public health crisis besides Covid-19? (Like HIV/AIDS, malaria, etc.)
- Population size
- Ethnic groups/ main religions/ etc.
- What is the median age?
Past Model African Union Agendas
Click below to view past Model African Union conference agendas and sample resolutions:
Model African Union Conference 2020
Model African Union Conference 2019
Model African Union Conference 2018
Model African Union Conference 2017
Model African Union Conference 2016