GUIDELINES FOR THE STRATEGIC PLANNING AND BUDGET COMMITTEE
ASIAN STUDIES CENTER
UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH
- PURVIEW AND RESPONSIBILTIY
The Asian Studies Center (ASC) is an independent unit under the oversight of the University Center for International Studies (UCIS). As an appointed body representing constituencies within the University community, the Asian Studies Center Strategic Planning and Budget Committee makes recommendations and provides advice to the Director of the Asian Studies Center. The Director of the Asian Studies Center reports to the Director of UCIS on all activities and financial matters.
- MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the Asian Studies Center Strategic Planning and Budget Committee is to integrate support for the Center’s mission with strategic planning and budgeting in order to facilitate development of the Center’s areas of excellence—support for faculty research, university and community programming, student scholarships, and staff support.
- STRUCTURE OF THE COMMITTEE
1. The Asian Studies Center Strategic Planning and Budget Committee shall consist of nine members comprised of the ASC Director, the ASC Associate Director, the UCIS Director of Administration, the elected chairs of each area council (China, Japan, Korea, South Asia, and SEAPAC), and one ASC staff member.
2. The ASC Director chairs the committee.
3. Only full-time faculty are eligible to serve as council representatives on the committee. A faculty member may only represent one council at a time. Because of the nature of the responsibilities of the committee, council chairs should have at least two years of experience as faculty at the University of Pittsburgh.
4. Minutes will be taken at all meetings by the Center’s Administrative Assistant and will be distributed for review by each member within fourteen calendar days. Requests for changes to the minutes should be made in writing to the Center’s Administrative Assistant within ten calendar days after distribution.
D. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE
1. The function of the Strategic Planning and Budget Committee will be to advise the Director.
a. Reviewing funding requests from the councils, ASC staff, and other University units with regards to programming, faculty funding, and student scholarship/fellowship support.
b. Providing recommendations to assist in prioritizing the funding requests received from the councils, ASC staff, and other units with regards to endowments.
c. Providing recommendations in preparing an annual budget for disbursements from the endowments overseen by the Center.
d. Meeting regularly to discuss matters related to the center’s strategic plan and/or budgetary policy.
e. Providing area studies expertise to staff in the evaluation of proposals from units outside of the councils—particularly student and community group requests.
2. The Director shall call committee meetings as necessary to conduct the business of the center. The committee shall meet at least twice a year, once in the spring term and once in the fall.