The African Studies Program offers a limited number of small grants ranging from $500-$2,000 to support faculty affiliated to African Studies in their scholarship and research activities related to African affairs. The grant can be used for travel to attend a conference; a professional meeting; and research related activities aimed at increasing expertise in African Studies. If you are interested please submit an application for funding using this link and also provide a budget. Please adhere to the deadlines provided for the fall and spring terms.
Fall deadline: December 1, 2020
Spring deadline: March 31, 2021
We will require that you expend the funds granted to you within the fiscal year of the award as stipulated in your award letters. Exeptions will be made only with advance notifications of your intent to delay spending the money due to unforseable reasons. Arrangements for processing all awards for this fiscal Year must be made by May 1, 2019. Work with your department's financial administrator to assist in the process of funds transfer.
Allowable budget items:
- Airline tickets. Please include a quote from an agent or website
- Food, lodging, and related incidental expenses with actual receipts can be reimbursed up to the US Department of State per diem rate (www.pts.pitt.edu/Travel/common/perdiem.html)
- Conference or professional meeting registration
- Purchase of relevant books or other resources
Non-allowable budget items:
- Travel for individuals other than applicant
- Payment to foreign national individuals for services provided outside the United States
- Research activity costs to occur at Pitt
- Equipment and any expenses unrelated to proposed activity
The applicant must be affiliated to African Studies. For faculty not yet affiliated with African Studies, you are invited to complete the online UCIS faculty survey if your teaching foci includes at least 25% of Africa-related content. The survey must be submitted prior to submission of the application for funding. We will send you acceptance and your name will then be included on our affiliated faculty listing that will appear on our website and any other records.
If awarded the grant, the faculty member will be required to present at either our Let’s Talk Africa or our Critical Research on Africa lecture series in 2019-2020 Academic Year. You will also be required to sumbit a brief report of your funded project and expenditure documents for our records.
Please email any questions to Dr. Macrina Lelei: email@example.com