Project GO scholarships from the University of Pittsburgh’s Center for Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies provide full scholarships to ROTC students enrolled at any accredited college or university in the US for 8 weeks of intensive summer language study in Russian (beginning through fourth-year). These programs provide students with the equivalent of one academic year’s worth of language training, in addition to opportunities to build their inter-cultural competence and travel in the Baltics.
Project GO is an initiative sponsored by the Defense Language and National Security Education Office and administered by the Institute of International Education.
All Pitt Project GO scholarships fully cover the cost of:
- program tuition
- housing for the duration of the program
- all textbooks required for the student’s course
- travel to the program site
- meals not covered by the program (a living stipend)
Program Dates and Locations:
Beginning-level Russian language students (i.e., those who have no prior experience in the language) may apply for a Project GO scholarship to enroll in Pitt’s Summer Language Institute held on the main University of Pittsburgh campus from June 7 - July 30, 2021.
National Guard Students are not eligible to study abroad with Project GO. National Guard students may apply for a Project GO scholarship to enroll in Pitt’s Summer Language Institute and may apply for Russian language training at the 1st through 4th-year levels.
- 2nd to 4th-year Russian students (i.e., those who will have completed the equivalent of 2-6 semesters by June 2021) may apply for a Project GO scholarship to study in an exclusive Pitt Project GO intensive Russian language program held at the University of Tartu, Narva College in Narva, Estonia. All students will engage in intensive language classes and a cultural program of excursions and lectures. Fourth-year students will also live in homestays and participate in a Russian-language job shadowing experience. Courses run from June 12 - August 7, 2021.
Currently, in-person domestic and overseas programs are being planned for Summer 2021. Any future changes to these plans will be posted here. The application links below will be live by October 1, 2020.
Project GO common application:
Please review the application instructions and Project GO eligibility requirements before you apply.
- Application deadline for the Russian Language Abroad Program: January 13, 2021 (for students applying to 2nd, 3rd, or 4th-year Russian in Narva, Estonia)
- Application deadline for Beginning Russian or National Guard Student Domestic Programs: February 17, 2021