Project GO scholarships from the University of Pittsburgh’s Center for Russian, East European & Eurasian Studies provide full scholarships to ROTC students enrolled at any accredited college or university in the US for 8 weeks of intensive summer language study in Russian (beginning through fourth-year). These programs provide students with the equivalent of one academic year’s worth of language training, in addition to opportunities to build their inter-cultural competence and travel in the Baltics.
Project GO is an initiative sponsored by the Defense Language and National Security Education Office and administered by the Institute of International Education.
All Pitt Project GO scholarships fully cover the cost of:
- program tuition
- housing for the duration of the program
- all textbooks required for the student’s course
- travel to the program site
- meals not covered by the program (a living stipend)
Program Dates and Locations:
Beginning-level Russian language students (i.e., those who have no prior experience in the language) and 2nd year Russian students may apply for a Project GO scholarship to enroll in Pitt’s Summer Language Institute held on the main University of Pittsburgh campus from June 6 - July 29, 2022.
National Guard students are not eligible to study abroad with Project GO. National Guard students may apply for a Project GO scholarship to enroll in Pitt’s Summer Language Institute for Russian language training at the 1st through 4th-year levels.
- 2nd through 4th-year Russian language students (i.e., those who will have completed the equivalent of 2-6 semesters by June 2022) may apply for a Project GO scholarship to study in an exclusive Pitt Project GO intensive Russian language program held at Narva College of the University of Tartu in Narva, Estonia. All students will engage in intensive language classes and a cultural program of excursions and lectures. Opportunities will also be offered to participate in a Russian-language job shadowing experience. Courses run from June 11 - August 6, 2022.
Currently, in-person domestic and overseas programs are being planned for Summer 2022. Any future changes to these plans will be posted here.
Begin an application now:
If you have difficulty with the links above, you can access the application from the IIE application instructions site. Please review the instructions and Project GO eligibility requirements before you apply.
- Application deadline for the Pitt Project GO Overseas Program (2nd, 3rd, or 4th-year Russian in Narva, Estonia): January 12, 2022
- Application deadline for the Pitt Project GO Domestic Program (1st-2nd year Russian or National Guard students): February 22, 2022
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.