NCTA Mini-Grant Information
For information about the NCTA Mini-Grant, please see the PDF NCTA Mini-Grant Information Sheet below.
Click on the icon below to download the NCTA Mini-Grant Information Sheet as a PDF
Your NCTA seminar leader will send you the link for the NCTA Mini-Grant Request Form, which you will use to make your selections. Please review the information in the the PDF document above before submitting your Mini-Grant request. If you have any questions about the Mini-Grant process, please ask your seminar leader or email Pitt NCTA Assistant Director Patrick Hughes at email@example.com
NCTA Mini-Grant Pre-Approved Options
The following "Pre-Approved Sets" are for NCTA teachers who are preparing their Mini-Grant Order forms. NCTA teachers have the option of picking one of these sets, or to customize their own set (check with your seminar leader for more information on mini-grants). All of the materials listed below appear in our East Asia Gateway for Linking Educators (EAGLE), which may contain teacher-written reviews as to the utility of the materials.
Click on the image below to download NCTA Mini-Grant Pre-Approved Options as a PDF
SET A: FOR HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL
- Book/Korea: Every Falling Star: The True Story of How I Survived and Escaped North Korea by Sungju Lee [$9.99] Publisher: Harry N. Abrams Date: 2016 ISBN: 1419721321.
- Book/Taiwan: The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan [currently: $9.99] Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers Date: 2019 (paperback) ISBN: 0316464015
Winner of the 2018 Freeman Book Award for Young Adult/High School Literature
- Book/China:When China Ruled the Seas: The Treasure Fleet of the Dragon Throne, 1405-1433 by Louise Levathes [currently: $15.36] Publisher: Oxford University Press, 1997 (Paperback) ISBN: 0195112075
- Book/Japan: Go: A Coming of Age Novel by Kazuki Kaneshiro [currently: $10.99] Publisher: Amazon Crossing Date: 2018 (paperback) ISBN-10: 1542046181.
[Resources for use with this book are located on our website: https://www.ucis.pitt.edu/ncta/teaching-go-book-discussion-and-workshop]
- Book/China: Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie ($11.89) Publisher: Anchor Books Date: 2002 ISBN-10: 0385722206
- DVD/Japan: Day of the Western Sunrise by Daliboka Films and Pittsburgh director Keith Remink. Includes educational toolkit written by NCTA alums. [$40.00] Date: 2019 Website: http://daliborkafilms.com
SET B: FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL LEVEL
- Book/Japan: The Night Parade by Kathryn Tanguary [$5.00] Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky, reprint edition. Date: 2017 ISBN: 149262327X. Winner of the 2017 Freeman Book Award for Young Adult/Middle School Literature
- Book/Japan: Grenade by Alan Gratz. [$9.97] Publisher: Scholastic Press Date: 2019 ISBN-10: 1407194178 Winner of 2018 Freeman Book Award for Young Adult/Middle School Literature.
- Book/Japan: A Place to Belong by Cynthia Kadohata ($11.99) Publisher: Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books; Illustrated Edition Date: 2019 ISBN-10: 1481446649 Winner of the 2019 Freeman Book Award for Young Adult/Middle School Literature
- Book/China: Bronze and Sunflower by Cao Wenxuan [$11.89] Publisher: Candlewick, Date: 2017, ISBN: 0763688169
- Book/Korea :When My Name was Keoko by Linda Sue Park [currently: $6.99] Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers Date: 2012 ISBN-10: 0547722397
- Book/China: Boxers & Saints, by Gene Luen Yang [currently: $21.38], Publisher: First Second Box Edition, Date: 2013, ISBN-10: 1596439246
- Book/East Asia: Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution by Ji-li Jiang ($7.49) Publisher: HarperCollins; Reprint Edition Date: 2018 ISBN-10: 9780064462082
- Book/Korea: Lost Names: Scenes from a Korean Boyhood, second edition by Richard Kim [$14.99] Publisher: University of California Press, Second Edition, 40th Anniversary Edition with a New Preface Date: 2011 ISBN-10: 0520268121 [Note: there are two articles in Education About Asia that will assist you in teaching this book]
- Book/Vietnam: House Without Walls by Ching Yeung Russell ($12.19) Publisher: Simon & Schuster Date: 2019 ISBN-10: 1499808755
SET C: FOR ELEMENTARY/INTERMEDIATE LEVEL
- Book/Japan: The Phone Booth in Mr. Hirota's Garden by Heather Smith ($15.87) Publisher: Orca Book Publishers Date: 2019 ISBN-10: 1459821033 Winner of the 2019 Freeman Book Award for Children's Literature
- Book/China: The White Duck: A Childhood in China by Na Liu and Andrés Vera Martinez Publisher: Graphic Universe; Illustrated Edition Date: 2012 ISBN-10: 0761381155
- Book/Inner Mongolia: The Moose of Ewenki by Gerelchimeg Blackcrane [currently: $19.95] Publisher: Greystone Books Date: 2019 ISBN-10: 1771645385 Honorable Mention for the 2019 Freeman Book Award for Children's Literature
- Book/China: Moth and Wasp, Soil and Ocean: Remembering Chinese Scientists Pu Zhelong for Sustainable Farming by Sigrid Schmalzer [currently: $12.20] Publisher: Tilbury House Nature Books Date: 2018 ISBN-10: 0884484041 Winner of the 2018 Freeman Book Award for Children's Literature
- Book/Korea: The Legend of Hong Kil Dong: The Robinhood of Korea by Anne Sibley O’Brien [currently: $8.95] Publisher: Charlesbrigde Date: 2008 ISBN-10: 1580893031
- Book/Korea: When Spring Comes to the DMZ by Uk-Bae Lee [currently: $12.29] Publisher: Plough Publishing House Date: 2019 ISBN-10: 0874869722 Honorable Mention for the 2019 Freeman Book Award for Children's Literature
- Book/Japan: Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr [currently: $6.85] Publisher: Puffin Date: 2004 edition ISBN-10: 0142401137
- Book/Japan: The Crane Girl by Curtis Manley [$14.73] Publisher: Shen’s Books, Date: 2017, ISBN: 1885008570, Winner of the 2017 Freeman Book Award for Children’s Literature.